Friday, January 23, 2015

Crush book (pages 9 and 10)

I desecrated a book doing this two-page spread!  I tore a page out of one of my old English anthology textbooks.  This was actually the very first page I did in the Crush book that's part of why it's a little sparse, I hadn't really figured out any techniques yet and did not have any confidence in what I was doing.  I really liked how it came out though and it is now one of my favorite pages.

It is centered around my favorite poem, a Langston Hughes poem about dreams.

I was trying for a steampunk sort-of look with the dirigible and the gear stamps.  I also had my mom help me distress the poem (after I cut it out of a book!  I cut up a book!  The horror!  Seriously, I'm still not over it, and I'm the one who did it!). 

I used a real bottle cap from a bottle of root beer and some wood embellishments and stickers and fabric flowers to jazz it up with the little cardboard sticker saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment